Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My first L lens

After shooting with my Canon 100mm macro lens, I almost stopped using my 28-135 IS. The sharpness of 28-135macro is not at all comparable with the 100mm macro!!!

So I thought of upgrading my 28-135. I started my research and finaly ended up buying a new lens. Its the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM!!!

Yes.. Now I am a proud owner of a canon famed "L" lens.

The options I had for a general purpose lens were 

1. Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM (outdoor) + EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (indoor)
2. EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM 
3. EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM 

The decision was very hard to make - I would say one of the toughest 'photography' decisions I have made ever :D..

I have read so many reviews, which if I would have spent on my certification materials, I would have scored 200% :-)... Something I learned - (Don't read lot of reviews... You will end up shedding money.) :D

My new lens on my 40D.

--- Factors I considered --- 

1. Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM (outdoor) 

+  -> Color/Contrast, L, Build, Sharpness.

-  -> Less zoom range (40mm only), No IS, Low light (Am getting another lens for low light.. oh not now!!!)

2. EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM 

+ ->  zoom range, IS!!!, f/2.8, Sharp

- -> DUST!!!!, Not tt great colors, Very exp and not an L, EF-S.

3. EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM 

+ -> Dream Lens!, L , Build, Sharpness, Zoom Range, IS

- -> Price, 24 is not wide enough & there aren't much wide options.

4 comments:

Manumaan said...

Kongrats macha!! L = Luxury you know that right...? I am sure your shots are going to a totally new level after this..Superb shots from Tahoe will be captured by..Feby..Frby..Feby (ivide echo undenu thonunu)

Unknown said...

Congrats on this big achievement...even though i am not able to make out what you have posted....

Joise said...

da i m inviting you beforhand for all yet-to-happen functions at my home. please come with the camera even if i forget to call you at that time.

Joise said...

I never believed that such a thing called tough photography decision existed.